Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime is a frantic 1- or 2-player local co-op action game in development for PC and Mac. Set inside a neon Spaceship, players work together manning Turrets, lasers, Shields and Thrusters to fight Robots, save animals, and stave off a vacuumy demise. Deep space is a dangerous place, but at least you don’t have to face it alone! The game is a 2-player co-op micro-platformer set inside a pink Death Star locked in battle with hordes of space baddies.
Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime takes place in outer space, the final frontier, a place of wonder filled with various anthropomorphic species, and a heart-shaped space station called the Ardor Reactor, which is powered by love and protected by the League Of Very Empathetic Rescue Spacenauts, also known as The Lovers. Everything was fine and dandy until the dark forces of anti-love destroyed the Ardor Reactor, ripped a hole in spacetime itself and took prisoner many of the lovely inhabitants. That is where The Lovers come in to save the day, running to and fro to control their circular spaceship while spreading love throughout the cosmos.
The goal throughout each of the levels in the four Constellations you'll be exploring is to find five of a possible ten captive Critters to advance to the next stage. Collecting critters also increases your ranking, which unlocks different ships and upgrades for them, so exploring to find all ten critters per stage has its benefits. Gems are also found floating in containers in each stage and can be used to power up each station with power, beam, and metal abilities. Invisible, inc. download free.
To write a new article, just enter the article title in the box below.
- As part of The Escapist Games Showcase – Fall Edition, Nick and Jack interviewed Piotr Karski of fluckyMachine, who is developing Trash Sailors. Editor in Chief of The Escapist.
- Explore a neon galaxy in your very own battleship in Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime, a thrilling 1- to 4-player couch co-op adventure. Only through teamwork can you triumph over the evil forces of Anti-Love, rescue kidnapped space-bunnies, and avoid a vacuumy demise. Deep space is a dangerous place, but you don’t have to face it alone!
Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime is a space shooter video game developed by Asteroid Base for Microsoft Windows, OS X, PlayStation 4, Linux, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch. The project is part of the [email protected] program. The game's title is a reference to the Bruce Cockburn song ' Lovers in a Dangerous Time '.
|Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime|
|Platform(s)||Linux, Microsoft Windows, OS X, PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, Xbox One|
Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime is a space shootervideo game developed by Asteroid Base for Microsoft Windows, OS X, PlayStation 4, Linux, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch. The project is part of the [email protected] program. The game's title is a reference to the Bruce Cockburn song 'Lovers in a Dangerous Time'.
The game can be played alone or with two to four players. The players pilot a spaceship with a variety of stations located inside it. These stations control the ship's weapons, engine, shield, Yamato cannon, and map. Each player controls only a single avatar (as well as commanding the AI pet in single-player mode), and thus must constantly move from station to station in order to balance flying the ship, protecting it from damage, and attacking enemies. During the course of gameplay, gift boxes can be discovered which may contain gems. These gems can be attached to the stations, giving them new, enhanced powers.
The game consists of four campaigns; each contains four levels and a boss fight. The goal of the regular levels is to find and rescue an assortment of captured creatures including bunnies, frogs, foxes, and ducks. After capturing five such creatures in a level, a heart-shaped portal to the next level is unlocked and the players may enter it to complete the level. A few levels feature an alternative gameplay mode in which a special engine is attached to the ship which the players must protect as it warps the ship to a new area. Up to ten creatures may be rescued per level. Creatures saved count towards improving the effectiveness of the ship by allowing two gems per station or unlocking new ship layouts.
Designer Matt Hammill described the development of Lovers as 'almost an accident', having wanted to create a game for a game jam that 'was supposed to be this small three-day thing'. However, after the jam was over the development team wanted to continue on with the concept. The team sought to avoid 'default gunmetal, chrome, cyberpunk textured-look', with Hammill stating that they wanted to go in the opposite direction. The team focused on a brighter aesthetic based on such sources as Sailor Moon and Katamari Damacy.
Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime was showcased in July 2013 at PAX Prime. The game was released for Microsoft Windows, OS X, Linux, and Xbox One on September 9, 2015.
By 2016, the developers added 4-player co-op on top of the original 2-player co-op mode.
Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime was released on September 9, 2015, for Microsoft Windows, Xbox One, OS X, and Linux, and on October 3, 2017, for Nintendo Switch.
In February 2016, Asteroid Base teamed up with the monthly subscription box service IndieBox to create an exclusive, custom-designed, physical release of the game. This limited collector's edition included, among others, a themed USB flash drive with DRM-free copy of the game, the original soundtrack on CD, a Steam key (downloadable on Windows, Mac, and Linux platforms), and various collectibles.
Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime became free to members on Xbox Live Gold in February 2017 and to members on PS Plus in April 2017.
Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime received positive reviews from critics. Aggregate review website Metacritic assigned a score of 82/100 for the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 versions, and a score of 80/100 for the PC versions.
Simon Parkin from Eurogamer, playing the PC version, recommended the game.Destructoid awarded it a score of 10 out of 10, saying 'If you've got a loved one to play with, do yourselves a favor and play this game as soon as possible, you won't regret a your lovely journey through space.' [sic]
Awards and nominations
|2014||Best Gameplay||Brazil's Independent Games Festival||Won|
|2014||Best Game||Brazil's Independent Games Festival||Nominated|
|2013||Excellence In Visual Art||Independent Games Festival||Nominated|
- ^Cifaldi, Frank (March 13, 2013). 'Road to the IGF: Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime'. Gamasutra. Retrieved April 29, 2017.
- ^Narcisse, Evan (September 10, 2015). 'Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime: The Kotaku Review'. Kotaku. Retrieved November 7, 2017.
- ^Skrebels, Joe (March 19, 2015). '[email protected]: Asteroid Base and Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime'. GamesRadar. Asteroidbase.com. Retrieved April 29, 2017.
- ^ abcdCampbell, Collin (February 8, 2013). 'What is Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime?'. IGN. Retrieved April 29, 2017.
- ^Birnbaum, Ian (July 30, 2013). 'PAX 10 list of outstanding indie games announced'. PC Gamer. Retrieved May 1, 2017.
- ^ abcWhitaker, Jed (September 8, 2015). 'Review: Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime'. Destructoid. Archived from the original on June 3, 2017. Retrieved May 1, 2017.
- ^Whittaker, Matt (June 21, 2016). 'Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime Introduces 4 Player Co-Op'. HardcoreGamer. Retrieved May 1, 2017.
- ^McAloon, Alissa (August 18, 2015). 'Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime'. Game Informer. Archived from the original on June 3, 2017. Retrieved June 3, 2017.
- ^@AsteroidBase (September 20, 2017). 'Spread the love and share the Joy-Cons! LOVERS IN A DANGEROUS SPACETIME launches on Nintendo Switch on October 3!' (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- ^Hammill, Matt (February 3, 2016). 'Lovers in a box!'. AsteroidBase.com. Asteroid Base. Archived from the original on June 3, 2017. Retrieved June 3, 2017.
- ^Greenwald, Will (April 11, 2016). 'Indiebox Double Unboxing: Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime and Assault Android Cactus'. Geek.com. Archived from the original on June 3, 2017. Retrieved June 3, 2017.
- ^Hallahan, James (March 29, 2017). 'PS Plus: Free Games for April 2017'. PlayStation Blog. Retrieved April 29, 2017.
- ^'Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime for Xbox One Reviews'. Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved May 1, 2017.
- ^'Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime for PlayStation 4 Reviews'. Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved May 1, 2017.
- ^'Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime for PC Reviews'. Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved May 1, 2017.
- ^Parkin, Simon (September 9, 2015). 'Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime review'. Eurogamer. Archived from the original on September 9, 2015. Retrieved May 1, 2017.
- ^ abTucker, Jamie (May 20, 2014). 'BIG Festival Win!'. AsteroidBase.com. Asteroid Base. Retrieved April 28, 2017.
- ^'Independent Games Festival 2013'. IGF.com. Retrieved February 23, 2016.